Saturday, March 7, 2009

Almost Garden Time


AHHHH! This warm weather is teasing me so! I know we are probably just having a short warm spell, but it makes me ache for the time to plant my garden! I can taste the tomatoes, cucumbers, green beans, and corn now! Oh!, the excitement!
I've been dreaming of a larger garden this year and had my heart set on one, but after research I've learned that bigger is not better! It's that way for several reasons. It's harder to keep the weeds out and keep the produce picked because of the hot summer days. I read this article (http://www.nogreaterjoy.org/articles/general-view/archive/2009/february/06/learn-and-live-well/)in a magazine I receive in the mail called No Greater Joy Magazine. First, let me say, if you are a parent I highly recommend this magazine! Just visit http://www.nogreaterjoy.org/magazine/ to sign up for their free magazine.
So now my dream is to have a garden like Debbi Pearl's garden. I just read this article a few weeks ago, so I am probably too late to do it like hers but I will be ready come fall. I have even started my own compost for fertilizer!! Pictures and how to do that is coming in the next post.
So I plan to plant more variety of vegetables but the square footage will be the same. So come on April! I'm ready to plant my veggies! Will you have a garden? What will you plant?

5 comments:

bethsessoms said...

Well you know I would like to plant a garden this year. I will probably need some expert advice from my friend Amber though!!! I am not sure what I am going to plant yet but I do want to have an herb garden too. Keep the info. coming about gardening!

jewel1018 said...

I'm not an expert. There is so much for me to learn...I do every time I plant one. I am going to have herbs this year for the first time, so we can learn together. I know your garden will be great! I would love to come and help, but I only pick my own weeds! :)

bethsessoms said...

OH, I don't plan on growing weeds, just vegetables:).

Anonymous said...

Look, before you girls start talking about growing weed, you need to remember this blog is public.

jewel1018 said...

Beth, sorry to say, you can't have one without the other! And don't think about spraying round up! Did that one year on a slightly windy day, and let's just say veggies don't like it either!

Jason-It's ALL very natural. I'll save some of mine for you. :)